When it comes to pet health, nothing is more essential than prevention through wellness exams with your veterinarian in Edmonton. Our vet at Ellerslie Pet Hospital recommends that your kitten or puppy come in monthly during their formative stages to receive their necessary vaccinations and for spaying or neutering surgery. This also allows our veterinarian in Edmonton to carefully monitor your new pet’s health for any signs of disease or illness. After the first year, we advise pet owners to bring their pet in annually for regular exams. However, senior pets and those with medical conditions may need to visit more frequently.
What to Expect During a Pet Wellness Exam at Ellerslie Pet Hospital
When you come to our pet clinic with your dog, puppy, cat or kitten prepare to answer basic questions concerning your pet’s diet, exercise, behavior, general health, vaccination schedule and any changes you have noted in their elimination patterns. Afterwards, our vet will give your pet a thorough examination to inspect and observe your dog, puppy, cat or kittens:
- Body condition for appropriate weight, walking, and standing gaits. This will also detect any signs of lameness or weak limbs.
- Coat to inspect for fleas, ticks, dandruff, oiliness, abnormal hair loss and excessive shedding.
- Skin to look for excessive dryness and any abnormal lumps or skin thickening that could indicate a more serious issue.
- Eyes for evidence of discharge, cloudiness, redness or other abnormalities. We’ll also see how well your pet responds to and follows motion.
- Ears to inspect for signs of discharge, buildups, and lumps. We inspect for signs of ear mites and other infections.
- Face and nose for symmetry, breathing, and skin fold issues that could be signs of concern.
- Mouth and teeth for tartar, broken teeth, ulcers, excessive salivation and signs of periodontal disease.
- Heart to check for proper heart rates and signals of heart murmurs.
- Lungs for evidence of healthy breathing rates and to ensure they sound clear of any excessive phlegm.
- Abdomen to feel for the health of the kidneys, liver, bladder, stomach, spleen, and intestines. We’re also seeing if your pet seems to be in any discomfort as we gently massage these vital areas.
Explore the Comprehensive Services at Ellerslie Pet Hospital & Accessories
Beyond wellness exams for cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies, we offer routine vaccinations, spaying and neutering, grooming, pet dentistry and microchipping services. We boast our own private diagnostic and laboratory service and can handle most general surgical procedures. Call Ellerslie Pet Hospital & Accessories today at 780-702-7738 to schedule an appointment to come and meet or pet clinic team in Edmonton, Alberta.